What is the Northwest Onion Soup Brizza? Think flavors of the traditional French Onion Soup, with Northwest Influences (Washington state onions and apples along with the Oregon cheese). Instead of a bowl of soup, however, the flavors shine and come alive on a Nature's Pride Country Buttermilk Bread. Here's where the word brizza comes in - bread + pizza - afterall, you do get the delicious melted Tillamook Swiss Cheese as a topper.
Enjoy the recipe! It easily doubles to please a crowd.
Nature's Pride Northwest Onion Soup Brizza
4 slices Nature’s Pride Country Buttermilk Bread, lightly toasted
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Butter
2 large Walla Walla onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 tablespoon apple brandy
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Rome Beauty or Gala apple, thinly sliced
4 slices Tillamook Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Make sure onions do not brown.
- Add garlic, wine and brandy; continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in fresh thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook until the onions are soft and translucent and the liquid has cooked out, about 5 more minutes.
- Divide the onion mixture evenly among 4 slices of lightly toasted Nature’s Pride Country Buttermilk Bread. Top each piece with slices of apple and Tillamook Swiss Cheese.
- Bake the brizzas in the oven until toasted and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.