When you are your own dishwasher, every dirty plate, skillet and kitchen utensil can set you off (at least that's my experience). There are times when I feel that I spend more energy and minutes rinsing, soaping, rinsing and drying than I do cooking. For those times, there is a miracle solution - one pot meal wonders. And this is exactly it! One pot Chicken & Rice with Green Olives and Tomatoes.
2 teaspoons oil
1 medium sweet onion, peeled and diced
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 chicken breast, skinless and boneless, diced
1 cup Jasmine rice
2 cups liquid (chicken stock, vegetable broth, or water), at hot temperature
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup green olives, sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large fryer pan, or a wide pot over medium heat. Add onion, pepper, and garlic. Saute for 5-7 minutes.
2. Add chicken and continue to cook until the chicken is evenly browned.
3. Add rice and cook for a few more minutes to coat the rice in oil
4. Add liquid to the chicken and rice, bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid has completely evaporated and the rice is tender.
5. Fluff the rice and chicken with a fork, and stir in tomatoes and olives.
Now you eat! When finished, all you have to do is wash one pan, a cutting board, a knife and a mixing spoon. How easy is that?
If you have your own favorite version of one pot meal wonder, please share.
Back to the blog